Songs for a New World is a work of musical theatre written and composed by Jason Robert Brown. This was Jason Robert Brown's first produced show, originally produced Off-Broadway at the WPA Theatre in 1995. Brown and director Daisy Prince put together songs he had written for other venues and events, resulting in "neither musical play nor revue, it is closer to a theatrical song cycle, a very theatrical song cycle."
The show lies between musical and song cycle, but it is neither; it is an abstract musical, a series of songs all connected by a theme: "the moment of decision." The show has four performers who do not literally play the same characters throughout the show but who do have consistently developing character arcs nonetheless. Composer Brown has said "It's about one moment. It's about hitting the wall and having to make a choice, or take a stand, or turn around and go back."
Because of its small cast and orchestra, Songs for a New World has become a favorite small show for colleges and local theatres, despite its vocally demanding score.
2018 Encores! Off-Center Concert
Songs for a New World the Musical Songs with Lyrics
1. Opening: The New World
2. On the Deck of a Spanish Sailing Ship, 1492 by Mykal Kilgore
3. Just One Step by Shoshana Bean
4. I'm Not Afraid of Anything by Solea Pfeiffer
5. The River Won't Flow by Colin Donnell, Mykal Kilgore
6. Stars and the Moon by Shoshana Bean
7. She Cries by Colin Donnell
8. The Steam Train by Mykal Kilgore
1. The World Was Dancing by Colin Donnell
2. Surabaya-Santa by Shoshana Bean
3. Christmas Lullaby by Solea Pfeiffer
4. King of the World by Mykal Kilgore
5. I'd Give It All for You by Colin Donnell & Solea Pfeiffer
6. The Flagmaker, 1775 by Shoshana Bean
7. Flying Home by Mykal Kilgore
8. Hear My Song